Donations

12 November, 2014

My Top Twenty, Part Two


This is the second part of a list of my favorite books. I have written a small review next to each book, as previously, and I intend to write a full review at a later date or as requested, so please leave a comment. They are in no particular order as I love them all for very different reasons. For part one please click here.




Junior

Culkin, Macaulay (2006)

Good-read rating; 3.15

Definitely a good read for when your Home-alone (couldn't resist), as it will have you laughing unpredictably and loudly, and you won't be entirely sure why.I have only just started keeping a readers journal as of 2013 and my initial response was "Very quirky writing style and content. A MUST re-read. Enjoyed immensely. 9/10". Now a lot of that comes from the fact I was having a reading binge in celebration of finishing University ("I can finally read what ever I want to!" sort of thing) but it is an enjoyable, surreal read.



Memoirs of a Geisha

Golden, Arthur (1997)

Good-read rating; 4.03

I read this novel after watching the film (2005) but I love them both. I don't really like watching the film before reading the book but sometimes that happens. I found that the book helped me flesh out a lot of the film and it seemed a shame that the film left a lot of the original story absent. Golden creates an overview to life as a Geisha during 1929 Japan.
Golden was sued in 2013 by Mineko Iwasaki as her life story was used as a source of inspiration for this novel. As Golden acknowledged her in the publication, Iwasaki faced a lot of negativity and even death threats because of this, due to what was seen as her breaking the Geisha code of silence. She when on to write Geisha, a Life (2003).




Bastard Out of Carolina

Allison, Dorothy (1992)

Good-read rating; 4.05


Initial response; "Enjoyed very much despite the darker themes. Found it [the child abuse] to be dealt with very sensitively. Very believable characters, I reacted to this a lot emontionally, especially liked the 'Earl' Character. Watched the film version soon after and enjoyed it too [I loved the fact that Michael Rooker, aka Merle from 'The Walking Dead' played Earl] but was saddened that they didn't include the character Shannon Pearl [I was also excited about it having Christina Ricci, who I love in Buffalo 66 (1998) and Sleepy Hollow (1999), as 'Dee Dee'. Yet her character was reduced to a few minutes of dialogue] 8/10."



A Spot of Bother

Haddon, Mark (2006)

Good-read rating; 3.45

This novel is an exceptional piece that deals with humanity. Fear, hopes, love, betrayal. Its is a feel-good read that really makes you work for it. The protagonist, George, is a hypochondriac which leads to some minor gore in the plot through out, but he is oddly loveable dispite his short falls, as are all of the main characters. It is very entertaining, Michael Dirda of The Washington Post adding "...half the time while reading A Spot of Bother you won't be sure whether to laugh or cry. Which is, I suppose, precisely the point."



Wuthering Heights

Brontë, Emily (1847)

Good-read rating; 3.79

I first read this when I was around ten after seeing it in ballet form on a school trip. I didn't understand a thing I was reading and promptly gave up, as I wasn't a strong reader back then. However for my A levels we studied Wuthering Heights and I found it so captivation that I have reread it many times as well as viewed many of the films and series that either fall flat or outright butcher it. It is a classic that isn't praticually demanding due to its shortness and as it is in popular culture, somewhat due to Kate Bush's 1978 Song  of the same name (check out the video, utterly terrifying). Mainly I would recommend reading this so that you can form an opinion on the notorious faux-romantic Heathcliffe. I think he's a bastard.




Dracula

Stoker, Bram (1897)

Good-read rating; 3.94


Another A Level read, we were studying the Gothic Genre, and again another classic, this is slightly more challenging than the last but the language is surprisingly modern and the use of  Victorian innuendos and allegories are rather amusing as well as off putting. Any vampire fan must read this and dispel their sparkly views of the vampire (yes Twilight, I blame you). I will be posting an article on Vampires soon, so be sure to check back for that. The link for that will be here. THe plot follows a group of high class men and women during the Victorian era. After Harker, one of the narrators granted by the novels epistolary format, meets and becomes imprisoned by Count Dracula he is barely able to  escapes. Dracula comes to England soon after and begins to prey on the groups women.



The Sound of My Voice

Butlin, Ron (1987)

Good-read rating; 4.16


Written entirely in second person, but very well written. You love to write in second person and you love to read second person novels. I personally love to write in second person as long as it is done well, so apologies for the latter, and due to its shortness I think that it is a good first stop for anyone who has never tired second person texts. The plot is centered around the protagonist, Morris Magellan, and his alcoholism. The novella offers an insight into the mind of an alcoholic and attempts to describe how one would view the world. I can not say if this is an accurate portrayal however it is hauntingly saddening yet its use of humor is well timed and I personally found some lines hysterical and other lines poetically beautiful. I intend to write a full view for this and the link for that will be here.




To Kill a Mockingbird

Lee, Harper (1960)

Good-read rating; 4.23


Classic southern Americana. This novel is very much about right and wrong, racial and gender equality, the perils of prejudgement and growing up in a world when all cultural morals are being reset. There are section which are focused so intently on the environment that when paired with Lee's Southerly use of language that you begin to believe you are in Alabama, This novel is amazing. Go read it. I personally enjoyed the story of Boo Radley.





Morvern Callar

Warner, Alan (1995)

Good-read rating; 3.68


I enjoyed the protagonist in this, Morvern, she is utterly unexplained, she behaves intrinsically and without any usual logic. I was recommended this novel in college and read it in two sittings, I had never read anything with a main character quite like her before and I am still not sure why I still liked her. It is written in a colloquial style, perhaps with a touch of  Scottish slang and Warner uses her language to show her limited education.The tone of the novel is very gritty and tense, almost like a thriller, yet is slow paced. In the novel Morvern is constantly providing a playlist of music that a number of readers have paired with reading the book to add to its impact (Slowthrills.com have created a playlist on Spotify of some of the mention tracks). The narrative begins with Morvern discovering her dead boyfriend after he committed suicide. Quiz time;Do you?
a) Collapse to the floor in shock and cry for your lost love?
b) Hyperventilate and ring the police?
c) Take all of your boyfriends money, publish his book, and depose of the body yourself?
Answers
 A; You are normal. B; You are normal and logical. C; You are Morvern Callar. Fancy a Silk-cut?






Snow


Maxence, Fermine (1999)

Good-read rating; 3.76


Translated from Japanese by Chris Mulhern, this short text is written in haiku form. Although the plot is a little sexist to both genders (the female characters only existing as a form of muse for the males, and the males being incompleate without a female). However it is an ascetic piece that is full of lovely imagery and is also a kind of transformation piece inspired by snow white. There were some part that seemed odd and mispleced tat illuded to the protagnists sexuality as the form make them seem abrupt and ugly when comparted to the beauty that followed, but that added some realism to the fantasy themes. You are able to easily read this in one sitting.



Thank you for reading. Please show your support by clicking like, commenting and following.

Please check out my e-books on amazon kindle.
All works Copyright Kate Ruston 2014

Like us on Facebook

My e-Books

The Blind Kings Sons (£0.99)

Harry Potter and the Gothic Genre (£0.99)

My art @ Deviant Art

No comments:

Post a Comment