Donations

01 October, 2014

My Top Twenty, Part One


This is the first part of a list of my favorite books, curtsy of my Good-reads profile. I have written a small review next to each, although I will review some of them fully at some point or as requested. They are in no particular order as I love them all for very different reasons. Part two is available here.
 As always, please like, comment, and enjoy!







Mort (Discworld, #4)

 Terry Pratchett (1987)


Good-read rating; 4.15



I read a lot of the Discworld books in the last few years of high school after playing the Discworld game as a child. The characters are so lovable in this novel (not that they aren't in the other Discworld books) and as the character of Death is hilarious to me so his large presence in 'Mort' only makes me love it more. I recall laughing a fair bit when reading this, plus you get the satisfaction found in all of Pratchettt's work, the moment when you actually understand science and maths jokes. I'm sad to say that as I've gotten older, I get less and less of them.


The Secret Garden

 Frances Hodgson Burnett (1910)

Good-read rating; 4.09



One of the first books I read as a child. It is a very enchanting read for any age group or lover of the fairy-tale feel in novels. Although there is no real supernatural presence, it still has the same tone as the classic fairytale (like Hans Christian Anderson) because of its target audience being children. It also gets bonus points from being set in my home province, Yorkshire, England.


The Color Purple

 Alice Walker (1982)

Good-read rating; 4.13

The first book I read that wasn't written in standard English and its also in epistolary format which I love from the tone of realism it creates, which also makes Celie, the protagonist and narrator, appear more believable. I love how the language processes with the personal development of Celie. This novel deals with a lot of adult themes including racism, sexism, sexual abuse, sexuality, faith and gender roles. 


Reading in the Dark

Seamus Dean (1971)

Good-read rating; 3.72

I read this novel in my third year at university and I was transfixed, reading it in two sittings (confession, this was the only novel I read in detail, i.e. not skipping parts, from my reading list for the whole year). I was actually kind of saddened by how little we studied it but I wrote my essay for that module on this novel and "Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme", a play by Frank McGuinness (1985). I was captivated by the entire family in the text, which were loosely based on Deans own family, 


The Book of Lost Things

 John Connolly (2006)

Good-read rating; 3.97

This may be my all time favourite read as it appeals to both my inner-child but also satisfies me as an adult reader by not brushing over the harsh sides of the original fairy tales that Disney have made 'child-friendly'. The characters are very vivid and the whole text has a dream like quality that I really love.

For My full review please click here.


The Night Circus

Erin Morgenstern (2011)

Good-read rating; 4.00


I am actually due to re-read this so I will most likely be writing a full review. Set in Victorian London, Celia Bowen and Marco Alisdair are puppets in a magical feud/bet between their fathers in which the Circus is the venue.The structure of this novel is lovely, a short paragraph before each chapter more or less that is written in second person, where as the main text is in third. this technique really enables you to imagine the circus as if you are walking through it and imagine all of the strange and wonderful creations found within, including the magic and strangeness of an entirely black and white circus grounds. The descriptions are very thorough and charming, however they can sometimes be confusing due to a drastic change in pace. Again the characterization makes a relatable read, which is often not the case in a novel with so many fantasy elements. Just as a side note, the book is beautiful to look at too, I have the hard back addition. By the end you too will be a rêveur ( the name of the Night Circus's fans meaning Dreamer).




The Book of Words

Jenny Erpenbeck (2007)

Good-read rating; 3.81


I stumbled upon this book by accident in The Works, a shop that sells cheap books. It is a translation from German and is translated by Susan Bernofsky, which may account for the some of he strangeness of this novella. It is written in stream-of-consciousness and has a uneasiness that flows through out the text. It is a coming of age plot set in an unnamed South-African country, in with the unnamed protagonist witnesses the brutalities of war and tyranny along with unsettling truths about her family.


The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings

Edgar Allan Poe (1839)

Good-read rating; 4.12

This is my go-to for all things Poe as I have owned it for years (its contents being poetry, short stories, essay, reviews and a good introduction to the life of Poe). However, saying that I have many other collections, some just for short stories, others filled just with the poems... I really should just get the complete works. My favourite poems 'The Raven', 'The Valley of Unrest' and 'Romance' (however 'Bridal Ballad' is unfortunately absent). Short-stories included are; 'The Tell-Tale Heart', 'The Oval Portrait' and 'The Pit and the Pendulum' to name a few. I think is addition (see pictured above) is a great first glimpse into the darkness and lunacy found in Poe's writing.

The Little Prince

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1943)

Good-read rating; 4.23

I read this only a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely despite it being aimed at children (you may have noticed my love of fairy-tales etc. by now...). It is translated from the original 'le Petit Prince' as the Author was French. The experiences in the text are related to Antoine de Saints-Exupéry's experiences during his involvement in WWII. It has a myriad of spiritual and humanitarian ideas within, as well as beautiful child-like places and characters that are insightful metaphors that can be appreciated by the adult reader. Fully suitable for reading to your children.

Most Famous Quotation - "One sees clearly only with the heart"


The End of the Affair

Graham Greene (1951)


Good-read rating; 3.96

I am aware that Greene gets a lot of criticism from his slow pace and often idol characters, however in this text it is used to emphasis Bendrix's (the protagonist) obsessions, both as a writer and a human. Only Greene could have written this character. Set during WWII London, Bendrix struggles with faith, loyalty, infidelity, trust and love which was most likely based upon Greene's affair with Lady Catherine Walston  (whom it is assumed is the 'C' or 'Catherine', in the American additions, whom the novel is dedicated to). It was the last novel written by Greene that was explicitly Catholic and there has been film and operatic adaptation as well as a audio addition read by Colin Firth (Audible.com), who I think is a fantastic voice for this first person text.


I hope you enjoyed reading Part One of my Top Twenty, Part Two will be posted shortly!


Thank you for reading. Please show your support by clicking like, commenting and following.

Please check out my e-books on amazon kindle.
All works Copyright Kate Ruston 2014

Like us on Facebook

My e-Books

The Blind Kings Sons (£0.99)

Harry Potter and the Gothic Genre (£0.99)

My art @ Deviant Art

No comments:

Post a Comment